Pet Turtle Feeding Tips
The best diet for a pet turtle is one that is fresh and varied to provide a range of nutritional sources. Just like humans, turtles have individual tastes, and offering different foods will help keep the turtle well fed and happy. More tips for feeding pet turtles include:
- Avoid offering turtles any dairy products such as milk, yogurt, or cheese. They cannot digest dairy, and it will cause illness.
- Offer protein sources only every two to three days to avoid too much protein in the turtle’s diet.
- Avoid raw meat or hamburger as it may become tainted and rotten before the turtle eats it.
- Avoid manufactured foods, such as crackers or bread, which may have ingredients that don’t support your turtle’s health.
- Offer foods in small pieces that are easier for the turtle to eat, especially baby turtles. Turtles do not have teeth and use their jaws to cut food into bite-sized pieces.
- Fresh foods are best; do not leave food in a turtle’s tank or cage where it can mold or rot. Always clean the food dish before adding another serving.